Russell has over twenty five years of offshore finance experience in the Cayman Islands. Prior to establishing Marbury, he was Head of Finance and Head of Cayman Islands Operations for Man Group (formerly GLG Partners) from 2006 to 2013. During this time, he served as a director on the boards of a number of Man Group hedge funds and corporate entities. Russell was responsible for audit and financial reporting across the complete Man Group range of hedge funds, in addition to having direct responsibility for the operations of the Cayman Islands physical presence, fund operational tax, fund budgeting and fund liquidations.
Prior to 2006, Russell was the Financial Controller at Banco Bradesco SA in Grand Cayman, with responsibility for the accounting and securities departments, which oversaw the back office functions of over US $8 billion in fixed income assets and related hedging instruments. Prior to his experience with Banco Bradesco, he worked with PricewaterhouseCoopers in the Cayman Islands. Russell has been a resident of the Cayman Islands since 1997 and holds Caymanian status.
Russell has considerable experience working with large hedge fund managers, across the full range of alternative investment strategies. He has a deep understanding of the accounting, legal, compliance and regulatory issue impacting the alternative hedge fund industry and works proactively with fund service providers to enhance the corporate governance framework of hedge fund clients.
Qualifications and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW).
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charterholder.
- Elected Global board member of Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA) for 2020 to 2022 & again for 2022 to 2024 terms. Chair of the audit committee.
- Member of the Cayman Islands Directors Association (CIDA).
- Past President of the CFA Society of the Cayman Islands (CFASCI).
- Past Chairman of Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA) Cayman.
- BSc Economics from Southampton University (1992).
M +1 (345) 938 2905